ST BRIAVELS CASTLE

The village of St Briavels in West Gloucestershire lies just to the east of the A466 which follows the river Wye along the Welsh border. It is about halfway between Monmouth to the north and Chepstow to the south. The castle is in the village and its gatehouse is used as a youth hostel.
SO 558046
For opening times go to http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/st-briavels-castle/

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information visit
http://www.castles99.ukprint.com/Essays/StBriavels.html
http://www.castlewales.com/stbrivls.html

STB1
Photo: Andrew Tivenan

The castle was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore for nearly a hundred years after 1326. The fortress site at St Briavels occupies a low polygonal platform set high on a spur overlooking the River Wye. It consists of an irregular enclosure which once contained a great tower keep. The main remains are now the Edwardian gatehouse of 1292-4 which serves as a youth hostel.

STB2
Photo: Andrew Tivenan