PENCELLI CASTLE

The village of Pencelli is in Powys, on the B4558 about 4 miles south-east of Brecon. The castle remains are in the village.
SO 095249

Article by Paul Remfry
For more information visit http://www.castlewales.com/pencelli.html


PEN2
Photo: Malcolm Ranson

Pencelli castle was probably built in the late eleventh century by Ralph Baskerville. Their descendants, the Le Wafre family, lost the castle to rebel and Welsh forces in 1233. The castle was rebuilt but probably taken again in 1262. It was recovered by 1273, after which the twin towered gatehouse might have been built by Roger Mortimer Junior who was later known as Roger Mortimer of Chirk (d1326). He had acquired the castle probably through his father's agency in the period 1263 to 1267. The fortress was seized from Roger by the king in 1322 and probably fell into decay soon afterwards. In 1328 the castle was seized by the Mortimers of Wigmore.

PEN1
Photo: Paul Remfry

The great square keep can still be made out behind the hotel which dates to 1584.